Health and Disease Prevention
When considering all the information published about health and disease prevention, we need to also consider misdirected ideas about food, health and diseases.
Dr. Campbell identifies in The China Study some of the misdirected views concerning American's ideas of health.
"After a long career in research and policy making, I now understand why Americans are so confused. As a taxpayer who foots the bill for US health care research and policies, you deserve to know that many of the common notions you have about food, health and disease are wrong:
- Synthetic chemicals in the environment and in your food, as problematic as they may be, are not the main cause of cancer.
- The genes you inherited from your parents are not the most important factors in determining whether you fall prey to any of the ten leading causes of death.
- The hope that genetic research will eventually lead to drug cures for diseases ignores more powerful solutions that can be employed today.
- Obsessively controlling your intake of any one nutrient, such as carbohydrates, fat, cholesterol, will not result in long term health.
- Vitamins and supplements do not give you long term protection against disease.
- Drugs and surgery don't cure the diseases that kill most Americans.
- Your doctor probably does not know what you need in order to be the healthiest you can be."
"I have never pursued health hoping for immortality. Good health is about being able to fully enjoy the time we do have. It is about being as functional as possible throughout ones entire life and avoiding crippling, painful, and lengthy battles with disease." T. Colin Campbell, PhD
Findings Published in Scientific Journals
Furthermore, regarding health and disease prevention in The China Study, Dr. Campbell goes on to state, "Some of the findings published in the most reputable scientific journals show that:
- Reversing type 2 diabetes is possible with a dietary change.
- Breast cancer is related to levels of female hormones in the blood, which are determined by the food we eat.
- Consuming dairy foods can increase the risk of prostate cancer.
- You can reverse heart disease with diet alone.
- Antioxidants, found in fruits and vegetables, are linked to better mental performances in old age.
- Kidney stones can be prevented by a healthy diet.
- Type 1 Diabetes, one of the most devastating diseases that can befall a child, is convincingly linked to infant feeding practices."
Education on Health and Disease Prevention
The only way we can overcome the misdirected ideas about food, health and diseases is by education on healthy eating and living. The China Study author speaks of the benefits of greatly reducing animal protein in our diet and realizing the benefits of a plant based diet. The probability that we will improve our own health and disease prevention is very good!
Continue reading about The China Study...
- Lifestyle Diseases - As civilizations and cultures become more wealthy or affluent, the consumption of animal products increase, and the result is the increase of chronic health issues.
- Colin Campbell - Dr. Campbell has prompted a revolution in America and other cultures as to how we should think about the food we place on our dinner plates.
>The China Study