Makes about 14 cups
To make the basic soup broth, combine:
- 2 quarts (64 ounces) of vegetable broth, preferably organic and low sodium
- 1 large size onion, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs of celery including leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can of stewed or diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 of a hard, dried Chorizos sausage (which is about a 1 1/2 inch piece) thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of Bragg Liquid Aminos or 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground bay
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- If you like a thicker soup base, add 1 can (15 oz.) of red, black or white beans, drained.
Place all ingredients in a large pot, cover and bring the liquid to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer with lid slightly tilted for 30 minutes.
Next prepare your choice of fresh or frozen vegetables combined to make about 1 - 2 cups for each vegetable (total of 8 - 10 cups needed).
- green beans, 1 inch pieces
- green cabbage, chopped
- carrots, peeled and sliced
- potatoes, peeled and diced
- kale or collards, rough chop
- corn, off the cob
- lima beans
- black eyed peas
- green peas
- turnips, diced
- cauliflower, broken into small pieces
- zucchini, sliced, add when soup is almost finished cooking
- escarole, cut into pieces, add to soup when it is almost finished cooking.
Simmer the vegetables until tender, about 20 minutes.
If zucchini or escarole is one of your vegetables, add this 5 minutes before soup is done, otherwise it will be overcooked.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of Liquid Smoke (optional) and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Serving suggestion: ladle hot soup into large bowls over 1/3 cup cooked rice, penne pasta or macaroni noodles. Keeping rice and pasta separate until serving will keep these ingredients from becoming soggy by absorbing too much liquid. Top this bowl of soup with a tablespoon of freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional).