White Bean Soup
Makes about 10 cups.
- 4 cups of escarole, washed and cut into pieces, set aside
To make the soup base you will need:
- 3 - 4 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup of onion, chopped
- 4 cups (32 ounces) of vegetable or chicken broth, preferably organic and low sodium
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of Bragg Liquid Aminos or 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of dry sherry (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- a pinch of red chili pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 2 - 3 teaspoons vegetable or chicken flavored base with no MSG, diluted according to directions
Place all the ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
Next prepare and add:
- 2 (19 ounce) cans of Cannellini beans with liquid, I use Progresso brand, or you can use any similar white bean.
- 2 medium size potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
Add the beans and potatoes to the soup base, bring to a boil, cover, reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes until potatoes are cooked.
Last...add prepared escarole and continue to simmer for 5 minutes...I personally like the escarole a little on the crispy side. Then taste and correct seasonings.