The Benefits of Soy Milk are Many!
The benefits of soy milk make it a very healthy substitute for cow's milk, as you see from the chart below.
Soy milk is made by soaking soy beans, then grinding and boiling them in water. Soy products have been used in the orient for thousands of years and have benefited the good health of many eastern cultures. Soy milk, along with other nut milks, has become a staple in the USA in recent years, and is rapidly gaining acceptance of the health conscience public.
The multitude of problems with the quality of domestic cow's milk has created a public demand for an alternative.
Since soy is a vegetable, tremendous benefits are also available from phytonutrients and plant based proteins.
Problems with Cow's Milk
Some of the problems with cow's milk that have been observed in many studies:
- High dairy intake is linked to risk of prostate cancer.
- Cow's milk protein, Casein, has been linked to Type 1 Diabetes.
- Higher risk of ovarian cancer
- Cow's milk is found to increase acne problems.
- Constipation and ear infections
- Casein promotes cancers, increased cholesterol, and atherosclerosis in human and animal studies.
- Lactose, from cow's milk, is a major digestive problem for many around the world.
- Growth hormones administered to dairy cows increase milk production and have a negative effect on human development.
- Antibiotics inoculated in dairy cows are residual in milk.
- Links to multiple sclerosis
- Some cow feed is laced with genetically modified organisms (GMO).
- No fiber in cow's milk
- High fat content
What are the Benefits of Soy Milk?
We have not experienced any negative issues from using soy milk in our diet.
Many people have come to realize that they must find a better solution than the traditional source of milk when faced with the issues of modern dairy production.
Although there has always been a controversy of the health qualities of soy, I believe that the proof is in the thousand year diets of Orientals.
Barbara and I have enjoyed the benefits of soy milk for years and have not had any negative health issues. We have also benefited from soy by removing the problems of modern dairy milk production and specifically for me, prostate cancer promoted by animal products.
Good things that come from soy milk:
Young soy beans that are harvested before they have ripened or hardened are known as edamame.
- Strengthens blood vessels and benefits blood flow
- No antibiotics
- No pharmaceutical added growth hormones
- Acne problems diminished
- No lactose - no digestion problems
- No casein - only non-harmful plant protein
- No added cholesterol
- Reduced fat
- Lowers LDL - improves lipid profile
- Phytonutrients that are available only from plants
- Reduced sugar intake
- Reduced risk of osteoporosis
- Rich in Omega-3s
- Isoflavones aid in post-menopausal symptoms
- Helps maintain proper weight
Cautions of using soy milk...
There are all sorts of soy milk brands available today. Many producers add substances that can reduce the benefits. Artificial flavors, sugar, thickeners, preservatives, and other ingredients may be used and you must read the ingredient list to insure that you get the simplest formula.
Make sure that you only use organic labeled soy milk. GMO soy is in abundance in processed foods. Stay away from any GMO food.
If you are sensitive to estrogen, you may want to omit using soy or reducing the amount because of the phytoestrogen in the product. Allergic reactions are rare with soy milk, however, you want to make sure that you are aware that this could happen.
Research has shown that the benefits of soy milk are for everyone, especially those who are living a plant-based lifestyle.
Since soy is a vegetable, tremendous benefits are also available from phytonutrients and plant based proteins. The negative effects of animal milk are avoided by using soy milk. I encourage you to try this wonderful product that has proven its health benefits for ages.
Cow's milk has lots of cholesterol.
Soy milk has zero cholesterol.
Calories in Whole Milk
Serving Size 8 fluid ounces
Amount Per Serving
Calories - 146
Total Fat - 8g
Saturated Fat - 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat - 0g
Monounsaturated Fat - 2g
Cholesterol - 24mg
Sodium - 98mg
Potassium - 349mg
Total Carbohydrate - 11g
Dietary Fiber - 0g
Sugars - 13g
Protein - 8g
Calories in Soy Milk
Serving Size 8 fluid ounces
Amount Per Serving
Calories - 90
Total Fat - 3g
Saturated Fat - 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat - 2g
Monounsaturated Fat - 1g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 100mg
Potassium - 300mg
Total Carbohydrate - 8g
Dietary Fiber - 1g
Sugars - 6g
Protein - 6g
More about healthy choices...
- Healthy Weight Loss - On a successful and healthy weight loss program you do not worry about counting calories.
- Benefits of Coconut Oil - are finally being revealed in our culture.
- Good Healthy Snacks - lower in fat & sodium, and your can enjoy the snacks guilt free.
- Dried Fruit Nutrition - is abundant with antioxidants and fiber.
- Yogurt Health Benefits - have been known for ages, and may be one of the most important foods you could eat.
- Seasoning for Plant Based Meals - Cedar Key Spice adds a whole new dimension to the flavors of your meals.
- Natural Salt - is pure, unrefined authentic salt with all of the trace minerals in tact.
- Excellent Salt Substitute - One of our favorites, Bragg Liquid Aminos!
- Stevia Sweetener - The uniqueness of stevia sweetener is that it is 150 time sweeter than sugar and has basically no calories.
- Cruciferous Vegetables - are known to reduce the risk of getting cancer.
- Vitamin B 12 - is needed for red blood cell formation, DNA processing and brain function.
- Processed Foods - also known as "convenience foods", make up over 60% of our food consumption in America today. These foods are loaded with chemicals and are very unhealthy, and can cause addictive responses to get you hooked. Then, we wonder why we love food!
>Healthy Food Choices